Cover Band: The Replacements do The Kinks

As Jim Walsh’s book gives witness to, the Mats frequently played the role of a cover band live. Many times the covers were delivered with purpose and practice. Sometimes they were tossed off in bits and pieces seemingly killing time. Either way covers seemed to be solely a way for them to entertain themselves.

So, in the dorky fashion I rolled out way too many Can’t Hardly Wait’s…..here’s a series of live Mats covers. Starting with The Kinks…

(Visited 19 times, 1 visits today)

1. jay 16.Nov.07 at 11:38 am

my favorite cover of theirs is Never take the place of your man by Prince.
    That and I wanna Destroy You.
    Fuck School sung to Let it Be is also pretty great.

2. Scott 16.Nov.07 at 11:41 am

when was that clip from? weird- doesn’t sound much like westerberg at all.

3. Wolfdog 16.Nov.07 at 4:24 pm

It’s from the Longhorn Bar in Mpls. July of 1980.

4. Placemat 17.Nov.07 at 9:40 am

“One Man Guy” was another classic cover.

I’ve been meaning to comb the boot collection & compile all the different covers, but alas ’tis a daunting task my two year old doesn’t seem that into.

5. jay 17.Nov.07 at 10:10 am

a mats cover disc would quickly turn into a 20 disc box set.

6. liquidparallax 18.Nov.07 at 3:42 am

“a mats cover disc would quickly turn into a 20 disc box set.”

I wouldn’t mind that! I’d love to hear “I could never take the place of your man” done by the Mats.

7. honkywithahaton 19.Nov.07 at 5:42 am

LP, check yer gmail

fans could create their own mats cover box set

theoretically …

8. Some Guy In The Corner 07.Jan.08 at 4:18 pm

Can anybody help me out on this one:

I heard a show with the Mats doing a song called “She’s A Goer” and have been doing all sorts of google searches to find out who it’s originally by (or is it an unreleased Mats’ tune?). It’s a really cool little song.

BTW: just for the sheer insanity of it, one of my favorite Mats cover moments is at the infamous CBGBs show when Bob and Tommy start playing “Iron Man” by Sabbath and then Paul and Chris start playing “War Pigs” AT THE SAME TIME!

9. Shim 19.Jan.08 at 11:02 pm

The favorite cover I remember was , “IF I only had a brain”, from the Wizard of Oz”, a friend of mine jumped up on stage and sang along, it all seemed pretty appropriate at the time. This was at a place called Amelia Ehradts in Iowa City, I think the year was 1985.

10. Chris 22.Aug.08 at 5:46 pm

The place in Iowa City was actually called Amelia Earhart (named after the famous aviator).

11. Chris 22.Aug.08 at 5:47 pm

Amelia Earhart’s

12. Mark Hutchins 13.Sep.08 at 1:07 am

I’d kill for a compilation of ‘mats covers. How ’bout “Cover Me Impressed” for the name of the rekkid. I’m serious I want this shit to hit my fan!!!!!!

13. David Todd 21.Dec.08 at 1:54 am

Don’t foget “Another Girl, Another Planet”, but you can get that on cd. There’s also a live bootleg of Westerberg with a cover of “Daydream Believer”.

14. Mark Hutchins 12.Feb.09 at 1:39 pm

Learn how to spell mortgage first, then do your advertising somewhere else ya fuckin’ slack dick bastard! This posting was brought to you by the cranky mugs at Acme Tire Irons. Try one over a bastard’s head today!

15. Mark Hutchins 21.Feb.09 at 9:22 pm

‘florida car cheap insurance’ sucks rusty tire iron. Fuck my School and fuck insurance salesmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Steven 08.Apr.09 at 6:59 pm

Well said, finally a good report on this stuff

17. slotsforfun 27.Jul.09 at 7:46 pm

slots for fun YPzONvCZxMJqtGkA free online blackjack games casino alexandria russian roulette poker online europe free roulette machine games spartan poker table internet casino australia free free roulette machine games online roulette golden palace casino games bay area casinos poker casino royale big silver box poker free slot games casinos free blackjack casino online roulette games golden moon casino phildelphia

18. Mark Hutchins 05.Aug.09 at 12:51 am

Hey there slotsforfun asshole, why don’t you take yer limp dicked losers lounge rip-off machines and ram ’em up your gawdamn hard drive!!! Then go pollute a page where maybe yer trailer park slutsforfun wheeze bag toothless bearded hag customers can go to find out where they can waste their next Social Security check. Feel free to bang your ass with a rusty tire iron while you’re at it!!