Jul 20 2008

49:00

By Jodi | Comments 27 | PW News

Download Paul Westerberg’s 49:00 from Amazon (Make sure you click the orange Buy MP3 Album button in the green box in the upper right corner of the page, otherwise you’ll have to pay a whopping 89 cents).

You can download 49:00 from Amazon, Paul Westerberg’s new, um, thing for 49 cents. If you haven’t used the Amazon MP3 downloads before, it’s pretty swanky. I am downloading it as I type.

WOOHOO.

It downloads as one big, long MP3 file. So far, I’ve made it through one, of what I will call songs and I am calling them this (we can argue about it later) (also it only downloads as 43:55, where’s my other 5:05??):

1. Who You Gonna Marry?
2. Keep Rising
3. Something in My Life is Missing
4. Erm, I don’t know what you’d call this one
5. You can come up with a name for this one, because I can barely understand the words (leather & Lipstick perhaps?)
6. Everyone’s Stupid (Isn’t this the one he played at The Craft thing last year at First Ave?)
7. Erm yeah, I don’t even know if this was a song
8. Oh, I think this one is about his dad, it talks about Mom being up since the Last Rites and praying at the foot of his bed and includes at least two different songs playing over the top of it. Weird.
9. Get it Out of My System
10. Be My Darling (Oh, I like this one)
11. Hey, Hey
12. Sorry, I forgot to listen to this one close enough to really have any idea
13. I think this is a very special mix-tape-esque song from our man Paul to us
14. Oh yeah, something something.

Crap. I gotta get to bed. It’s 1 in the a.m. and, well, I have to be awake and perky at 6:15. I can’t wait to discuss it with you all tomorrow later.

Tags: ,

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 12:36 am · ·

son of a bitch- they won’t let me download it overseas- F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somebody email it to me!!!!!

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 12:41 am · ·

When do you get home?

Davey L.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 1:51 am · ·

What a blow for those of us outside the US, hopefully this gets rectified soon!

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 2:07 am · ·

I’ll make splits when I get back to Austin on wednesday so you can jump from song to song- however I have no idea why you would want to do that.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 2:10 am · ·

i wish the sire records were produced in pauls basement- id love to hear the dont tell a soul alt production that was a rougher mix. sounds like old stones- exiley and stuff. love that slop.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 6:58 am · ·

So what do y’all think? Huh?

Davey L.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 8:43 am · ·

Wish I could tell ya….I’m goin spare here!

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 8:44 am · ·

Davey, that totally sucks.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 10:14 am · ·

Missing song title suggestions (after one listen–I reserve the right to change my mind later):

4 Mother’s Day (I think this is what he’s saying in the chorus but he’s pronouncing it like “Mitur’s Day”)
5 Devil Raised A Good Boy
7 What Do You Want?
7A Gone (I like this one, wish there was more)
8 Goodnight Sweet Prince
11A Clean
12 It’ll Never Die
13 Back To Saturn X Radio Report II
14 Johnny Said So

DeeBee

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 10:20 am · ·

I live in Canada, so I’m outta luck and crying like a schoolboy ’cause I’m a religious Westy fan. There’s gotta be another way!!!!!

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 10:30 am · ·

I feel so bad for our Neighbors to the North as well as all the other places that aren’t the US. It so sucks that you can’t get it today. There ought to be a way to stream it or something for you all.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 11:06 am · ·

Some Guy, How many songs would you say there are? Someone kindly sent me the MP3 busted up into tracks and there are 23 of them!

Placemat

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 11:28 am · ·

I’m fascinated.

It’s great, awful, upbeat, sad, satisfying, frustrating, honest & full of lies. I think I might love it.

If I don’t love it, then I hate it. I need to listen to it about a 100 more times to be sure

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 11:31 am · ·

I am too. I’m listening to right now, the chopped up version a making up song titles. Because I am that kind of nerd. I need these kinds of things to grasp the music. Does that make me a philistine?

Matt

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 11:33 am · ·

I totally dig the notion of called the “johnny vocal track” johnny said so. I think thats what we should call that one, for real.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 11:55 am · ·

I’m with you guys on the love it/hate it/need to listen to it 100 more times to make up my mind. I’m a Guided By Voices fan and this totally reminds of me Propeller/Bee Thousand/Alien Lanes era GBV where some of the material is great, some is not so great, some is just chaotic, but it all adds up to a fascinating and exciting whole, something that you always want to listen to from beginning to end instead of cherrypicking tunes on your iPod as many of us do nowadays.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 11:58 am · ·

As far as accurately cataloging all the songs, geez I wouldn’t even know where to begin. What do you with the sections where remnants of a partially erased song are still bleeding through on top of another? Call it a medley?

blasty

Mon Jul 21, 2008 at 7:33 pm · ·

This article explains the financial side of distributing music through Tunecore:

Apparently, by making it one long track, he only had one small fee to pay because he could sell it as a single song, as opposed to several tracks in album format, where he would have to pay a fee per song.
Either PW is a marketing genius, or employs one.

• Pingback: Ex-Replacements Paul Westerberg lança novo álbum ao preço de 49 cêntimos | Remixtures

• Davey L.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 1:01 pm · ·

Thank god I only had to wait one day! Jodi kindly emailed me with the alternate link this morning (I’m in Australia), and I’ve been listening to it ever since. I’m in love with the hodge-podge mixtape style of this, something so wildly distracting I guess this is the only way he could have put it out. I also have done the nerdy thing and split the tracks myself, great to hear Everyone’s Stupid made the cut. Devil Raised A Good Boy (if that’s what it’s called) features one of P’s nastiest guitar sounds since ’84 if I do say so….I’m sure I’ll have plenty more to say once I’ve slept on it and given it a few more listens tomorrow….but I don’t wanna sleep now!

By the way what other covers are in there aside from Hello Goodbye, Stupid Girl, Born To Be Wild, I’m Eighteen, Rocket Man and of course I Think I Love You?

By the way Paul’s beautifully sloppy drumming is so great to hear again.

I’m so sleepy but delirious with joy….

Morgenstern

Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 1:26 pm · ·

So I downloaded this from the “international” site and it’s not 49:00 mins but only 43:55. Does anybody else have that problem?!?!!!? I like what I hear by the way … :o)

Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 1:27 pm · ·

Nope, you got the right download. Everyone’s is only 43:55.

Morgenstern

Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 1:33 pm · ·

Phew! *wipes brow* I thought maybe the Tunecore link was broken or fake or something. So, the 49:00 is a joke just like Paul Weller’s 22 Dreams only containing 21 songs? The PWs of this world all are suckers for a pun, it seems to me. *heehee*

Tue Jul 22, 2008 at 2:42 pm · ·

I have a feeling Paul came up with the title first and just slightly overestimated. Also (and I could be reading way too much into this) Paul will turn 49 in December.

Mitch Harris

Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 4:31 pm · ·

If you want your other 5:05, it’s available now at Tunecore: http://studio.tunecore.com/store/product/47

Now try to find the other 43:55. Vanished!

rich viscardi

Fri Aug 15, 2008 at 8:27 am · ·

if anyone can email me 49:00

I can give them a westerberg vconcert video shot in NYC in 1996 or the last replacements concert in grant park 1990

Rich

Sengraphs

Sun Sep 28, 2008 at 9:35 am · ·

Neither the 49:00 nor the 5:05 are available for download from either site. It looks like they’ve pulled the plug. That’s a bummer for those that missed the boat.

Comments