1. Some people love me, they’re creaming (Really, did he say that on Out of My System? If so, I am totally creaming)
2. Proof that Our Man Paul wants me to happy? ANOTHER song with talk of hips. Not many of you know this, but I have a hips fetish and I collect songs that mention hips. So yeah, Be My Darling floats my boat for the hips line alone. Speaking of, I can’t decide if that one line however, is:
Might even send the knight in fact
Might even spend the night in fact
3. At Supergenius HQ (aka my house) it is required to do a few raise the roof arm pumps whenever “Hey, Hey” comes on. Why is that? Mostly because it feels right and also, as a writer, we believe we must celebrate any song with a bit of a grammar lesson in it.
4. There is also a lot of sassy head shaking during “Squeaky Obscene.”
5. I’m on the brink today of writing something memorable — the line in “It’ll Never Die” might just become my new life’s motto.
6. The “Goodnight Sweet Prince” segue in “Guess I’ll Be Going Then” is fucking genius
7. I love that crazy slide whistle thing towards the end of “Out of My System”
8. A long time ago I decided there were two kinds of people in this world — i.e. those who like peanut M&Ms and those who like plain, those who choose Coke or Pepsi, Beatles or Stones, Husker Du or The ‘Mats, and for those who live in the Twin Cities area you’re a PiPress or a Strib person. I’m a PiPress person. I started out a Strib person, but then I fell in love with Jim Walsh’s writing when I was like 19 and my allegiance has forever been changed. So when I saw PiPress musicman Ross Raihala mentioning our made up song titles I was hella pumped.
9. Hey, Hey also talks about not forgetting the comma, clearly this man lives with a writer
10. Just exactly what is a faggot Davy Crockett?
11. I have accepted the fact that he is, in fact, wondering who Terri is going to marry. I still like calling the song “(Tell Me) Who You Gonna Marry?” because, well, the song doesn’t have to be called an exact lyric. Get a grip people.
12. Not really a fan of “Visitor’s Day”
13. You know what this album is really missing? The ability to go make me a sandwich
14. I nominate “Devil Raised a Good Boy” as the official ass shaker of 49:00
15. Here’s what I like so much about “Everyone’s Stupid” — that line about I can’t wait until I don’t know when, to me that just so sums up the thinking and feelings of a 10-year-old kid
16. The pain in his voice when he sings “fiiiiigggghhht” on “Goodnight Sweet Prince” is palpable
17. At one point I was convinced I heard a whispy snippet of “A Star is Bored” or “I Shot an Actor” but now I can’t find it.
18. This means I am either crazy or you can only hear it when you are half-paying attention
19. I want a full-out 3 minute version of “Money Goes Straight to Her Heart” and then I can write some kind of feminist diatribe about it
20. Shoulder shrugs can be subsititued for raise the roofs in “Hey, Hey”
21. If you actually think there are going to be 49 random thoughts you are sorely mistaken & I apologize for taking advantage of your gullability
22. Whenever “Squeaky Obscene” comes on, I have to listen to it three times in a row
23. I’m pretty sure Our Man Paul should release an album of nothing but covers. . . chosen by me.