In the Blogs: More on 49:00, 5:05 & a 1982 solo concert you can download

In the Blogs

Andrea Myers at City Pages shares the thoughts that flitted through her head the first time she listened to 49:00.

There seems to be a bit of confusion in blogland about what exactly happened to 49:00 and what 5:05 is (er, make that a lot of confusion). Heather at I am Fuel, You are Friends explains it all clearly and succinctly.

I think someone linked the B+ AV Club reviews in the comments. If you missed it, well, here it is again.

Owl & Bear has a solo acoustic Paul Westerberg set from 1982 available for you to download. Anyone know anything about this show? Or where this might have come from?

The Rocky Mountain News gives a good run-down of alternate means of distribution for musicians and includes a good bit about Our Man Paul’s 49:00 kerfuffle.

(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)

1. RJ 13.Aug.08 at 9:53 am

I think people that call 5:05 the “missing” song are extremely off base. I don’t pretend to know why 49:00 clocked in at 43:55 (I’m sure Paul had his reasons) but 5:05 is obviously an answer song to having 49:00 pulled.

What’s intriguing is how he incorporates the notion of the “missing” minutes into this new song: it means he is acutely aware of the feedback of his fanbase, which in a way dispels all that “Paul is computer illiterate” hoopla. Maybe his wife or son turns the computer on and/or navigates for him, but there is no way he would’ve slyly and cleverly acknowledged the petty “controversy” without knowing about it.

He wrote and recorded 5:05, it clocked in at 4 minutes and change, and he fleshed it out (to the desired time) with that beginning. Crafty bastard!

2. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 9:56 am

Amen! I think you sum it up nicely. And I never thought about the whole computer illiterate/response to the hooha connection.

3. Placemat 13.Aug.08 at 11:46 am

If the solo show linked above is the show I’m thinking of, it’s real interesting for an off hand comment Paul makes…

Paul introduces Treatment Bound as, “the Ballad of the Replacements. A band that fired me not long ago. Why you wonder? Got me.”

Wondering, indeed.

4. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 11:47 am

is it really from 1982?

5. Placemat 13.Aug.08 at 11:56 am

Yeah, ’82 (as far as we know).

I just checked & this IS the show. The recording 1st surfaced at the tail end of the “Unintentionally” (home demos) boot.

Wanna say I read something about this show, somewhere, but alas is escapes me now…

Walsh’s book maybe?

6. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 11:59 am

Could be. I’m really too lazy to get up off the La-Z-Grrl and walk the 3 feet to the bookshelf and look.

7. Placemat 13.Aug.08 at 12:06 pm

That is hike.

Where ever it was, & whatever is said, it didn’t answer many questions, but it did confirm that Paul played an early (& only) solo gig.

8. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 12:10 pm

I know. I’m really fucking lazy today. It’s noon, I’m still in sweaty workout clothes and haven’t eaten any lunch though I am starving and I only had like 4 hours of sleep last night.

9. Placemat 13.Aug.08 at 12:18 pm

I’ll make ya lunch, if ya mow my yard. Cocktails included.

10. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 12:20 pm

I actually really like mowing the lawn. It’s like vacuuming, instant gratification. If I had a yard bigger than a postage stamp, I’d totally be a lawn nazi.

11. Jimdracula 13.Aug.08 at 1:21 pm

Sweetheart, it’s only rock-n-roll & he likes it.

12. shelaka 13.Aug.08 at 2:55 pm

‘This line from the Andrea Myers 49:00 review is guffaw worthy: “He is singing out of tune, and it’s sort of unbearable.”’

Ha! I saw that, too – made me wheeze.
    Hey, this is my first comment, but I’ve been keeping tabs since I randomly found out about 49 (the day it was supposed to come out, June 49th) and snapped it up. The comments here are freaking me out, like you’re all reading my mind.

Okay, I don’t have anything to say, except – Jodi – great job. And I like the witty reparte. And, aw.. Crackers.

13. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 2:56 pm

Crackers to you too! I think we’ve determined that is a good thing, right?

14. shelaka 13.Aug.08 at 2:59 pm

Yes. Although I s’pose it could be multi-meaninged, like ‘aloha’.

15. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 3:02 pm

I like that, it leaves it up to the reader to determine the proper context. Crackers!

16. Jimdracula 13.Aug.08 at 3:05 pm

…or badass tattoo.

17. jaytaco 13.Aug.08 at 4:05 pm

I have a copy of that 82 show and a little background info. Its from a high school gymnasium where Soul Asylum was gonna play, or Pirner solo maybe, and Paul was the opening act.
    The end.
    I have the tape and dates, ill dig it up.
    Im moving to a shiny new house, and in the process found 2 original copies of the SHTF cassettes and covers, a sealed Im in Trouble, a boink on vinyl sealed, a boink on cassette, and some horrifc shots a friend took of me and paul by their bus. It was like xmas.

18. jaytaco 13.Aug.08 at 4:07 pm

I just heard Glenn Campbell singing Sadly Beautiful. I dont know what I think. Its not Paul.

19. jaytaco 13.Aug.08 at 4:07 pm

Crackers!

20. jaytaco 13.Aug.08 at 4:08 pm

Its a duet at the end and has some interesting chorus instramentation.

21. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 4:09 pm

I actually dig the Glen Campbell thing. But that’s because he was my mom’s all time fave, and Our Man Paul is my all-time fave. you know?

22. jaytaco 13.Aug.08 at 4:11 pm

Crackers?

23. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 4:16 pm

Crackers.

24. jaytaco 13.Aug.08 at 4:17 pm

No, I was asking if you cared for any…

25. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 4:20 pm

Oh yes, please. After sandwiches and m&ms, crackers are my favorite food.

26. jaytaco 13.Aug.08 at 4:22 pm

I never realized that “crackers” was the most versatile word in the entire English language. Thank you , http://paulwesterberg.net/wordpress, thank you very much.

27. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 4:26 pm

We live to serve. Our favorite Paul Westerberg song is Crackers & Drag.

28. Placemat 13.Aug.08 at 7:00 pm

This place is crackers.

29. Placemat 13.Aug.08 at 7:00 pm

All of ya, crackers.

30. Dee Dee 13.Aug.08 at 7:33 pm

So, how does one convert a flac file to something I can store on my ipod? I can play it on winamp, but stuck on the conversion thing.

31. Jimdracula 13.Aug.08 at 7:42 pm

You crackers can keep your crackers…

…”for some fun & money & some crackerjack” *belches* is what I’m talkin’ about, yo.

32. Pingback: Speaking of “Works in Progress…” « Goodnight to the Rock & Roll Era

33. Placemat 13.Aug.08 at 8:54 pm

Color Me Cracker.

34. John 13.Aug.08 at 9:29 pm

I’m not sure if Jodi’s comment above “(er, make that a lot of confusion)” is a slight or simply an affirmation of my thoughts on the “missing 5:05” idea, but I’d be curious to know what people think. It seems odd that Westerberg would offer a track that exactly clocked in at a time that completes 49:00 if it wasn’t intentional, but I haven’t seen much speculation about motives.

35. Jodi 13.Aug.08 at 9:56 pm

I meant no slight at all (I save most of my insults and slights for people I know). I called it “missing” too. I think RJ’s comment way up at the top #1 there is pretty spot on.

36. Jay 13.Aug.08 at 10:58 pm

Of course 5:05 was intentional. And of course the front was backloaded to reach that time. Just listen to the lyrics…
    there is no mystery…it is a very straightforward messge.
    I mean c’mon (c’mon, c’mon) CRACKERS!!!!!

37. Jay 14.Aug.08 at 9:11 am

hahaha

38. blasty 14.Aug.08 at 10:45 am

“Im moving to a shiny new house, and in the process found 2 original copies of the SHTF cassettes and covers, a sealed Im in Trouble, a boink on vinyl sealed, a boink on cassette”

So that’s where I left them!
    Jaytaco, just send them back to me and I won’t charge you for renting them all these years. Thanks for taking good care of them!

39. owlandbear 14.Aug.08 at 2:44 pm

500 new visitors at Owl&Bear yesterday! A big welcome Westy fans.

Hope you find more interesting things at the site.

Cheers!

40. amenodimeno 31.Jul.09 at 11:58 am

That’s good man, keep it going.