The Holy Triumvirate

I’ve pondered this idea for about seven minutes so you know it is right and true and well-thought out. But here are three most iconic ‘Mats songs of all time. Are you ready for this:
1. Can’t Hardly Wait
2. Bastards of Young
3. Here Comes a Regular

Shocked? Appalled? Yeah me too, because I Will Dare didn’t make the list. That would be number four. However, there are no fours in the triumvirates.

Do you disagree? Or am I totally right on the money?

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)

1. Phil 06.Oct.08 at 1:43 pm

My picks would be:

1. Sixteen Blue
    2. Left of The Dial
    3. Treatment Bound

Done in about two minutes!

2. Jodi 06.Oct.08 at 1:47 pm

Of course you were done in two minutes, it doesn’t take that long to be wrong.

3. wes 06.Oct.08 at 1:47 pm

1. Unsatisfied.
    2. Left of the Dial
    3. I’m in Trouble

These are the songs that best represent the Replacements. End of Story… Well IMHO anyway…..

4. Jodi 06.Oct.08 at 1:56 pm

I had a hard time with Left of the Dial vs. Bastards of Young. Sadly, you Wes came up on the wrong side of right.

5. ih8music 06.Oct.08 at 2:21 pm

iconic? i guess it depends on which icon you’re referring to.

1) Alex Chilton
    2) I Will Dare
    3) Can’t Hardly Wait

or

1) Androgynous
    2) Sixteen Blue
    3) Here Comes A Regular

or
    1) Waitress In The Sky
    2) Treatment Bound
    3) Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out

or…

6. Some Guy 06.Oct.08 at 5:28 pm

Depends on how you interpret iconic of course, but I think Jodi’s 3 are a pretty good representation of the band:
    Can’t Hardly Wait – the poppier side
    Bastards of Young – the angrier, more raw side
    Regular – the lonelier, more introspective side

Left Of The Dial perhaps should be there in place of Bastards just because the title has become somewhat ubiquitous in indie rock.

The only thing missing is something that captures a bit of the humor. Maybe I Will Dare needs to be in there after all.

7. monojack 06.Oct.08 at 8:54 pm

The iconic thing does come into play, but I’d say, after much mental wrangling and pseudo-justifications,

3) Cant hardly wait
    2) Here comes a Regular

1) Unsatisfied. (How can you not? I mean really?)

(great job, btw, jodi)

8. jay 06.Oct.08 at 9:00 pm

For me-today-

1-Answering Machine (lets not argue this one people)
    2-Color Me Impressed
    3-Shiftless When Idle

I’m surprised to see Androgynous and 16 blue on some lists.
    I dunno why, but I just really dont like those tunes. And swing party…boy do I hate me some swing party. But thats cool…. i consider those leave to go pee during the concert songs, so they serve a good purpose.

9. jay 06.Oct.08 at 9:01 pm

swinging…not only did i get it wrong once…but twice. My hands are slower than my head. sigh

10. jay 06.Oct.08 at 9:02 pm

Did anybody here used to do the Skyway tape trade at christmas?
    We should get that going again.

11. blasty 06.Oct.08 at 9:27 pm

I’ve gotta agree with Jay on Androgynous. Always thought of it as a throwaway, and am always surprised when people list it as their favorite.

I’m also surprised that IOU doesn’t show up on more lists. A great album cut, but even greater live. PW usually saves this for the encore, and plays it with a fury that ends the show with the audience wanting more.

Also, The Ledge often comes up on people’s hated list, which I can never understand. Guess you had to be out on that ledge at one time in your life to get it.

Alex Chilton has to be right up there on top of the list. Whenever I upload video on youTube, this song seems to get the most plays.

With that said:

Alex Chilton
    I Will Dare
    Can’t Hardly Wait

12. jay 06.Oct.08 at 9:36 pm

IOU is amazing.
    Nevermind is also up there on the “i cant believe this song doesnt get more love” list. its great. great opening line.

13. evin 06.Oct.08 at 10:03 pm

#1. lay it down clown
    #2. gary’s got a boner
    #3. back to back

14. Jake 06.Oct.08 at 10:18 pm

For me today…the list always changes…
    1.)Unsatisfied
    2.) Swinging party (i love it)
    3.) Shooting dirty pool (great rock song)

Not my favorite of all time but today I’m in love with these songs

15. Jay 06.Oct.08 at 11:12 pm

back to back…bold pick my friend.

16. Matt 06.Oct.08 at 11:14 pm

1… skyway
    2… i hate music
    3… johnny’s gonna die

Them’s the three that that sum up – to me – the bitterweet, snotty, and disrespectful.

17. monojack 07.Oct.08 at 10:11 am

I fought hard NOT to put the ledge up there…. but we do all have those songs we just never get. Sorry Evin, But my biggest one is probably Lay It Down Clown… that is my bathroom song far and away.
    ~m

18. GtrPlyr 07.Oct.08 at 9:49 pm

Going for strictly iconic, not favorite here:

Unsatisfied
    Bastards of Young
    Can’t Hardly Wait

19. Jodi 07.Oct.08 at 10:12 pm

I think Unsatisfied and Bastards are pretty thematically similar.

20. Sam 08.Oct.08 at 2:36 am

i think to be iconic you have to capture the most prominent sides of the mats…the pop, the punk, and the ballad…

1. cant hardly wait
    2. skyway
    3.shiftless when idle

you could sub in i will dare or color me impressed for cant hardly wait…all great

androgynous for skyway (honestly, i’m not really sold on 16 blue or answering machine or even unsatisfied) as for those who dont get androgynous, try listening to it walking back from a party on a rainy night in the AM or when you cant sleep

bastards of young is a great song, but its a bit too smart and “born to Run” for my taste…maybe kids dont follow, but jeez, everything comes together so well in shiftless. way more rawness and energy than the production on bastards

21. wes 08.Oct.08 at 7:04 am

I may have come up on the “wrong side of right” according to you, but your poll question results say otherwise.

22. jay 08.Oct.08 at 8:39 am

” as for those who dont get androgynous, try listening to it walking back from a party on a rainy night in the AM or when you cant sleep” IN A DRESS?

23. Some Guy 08.Oct.08 at 9:37 am

“I may have come up on the ‘wrong side of right’ according to you, but your poll question results say otherwise.”

Well, the cage match question is a whole different animal, Wes. Left Of The Dial wins that one easily because it’s got a better finishing move.

24. Jonathon 08.Oct.08 at 11:04 am

I’m a little shocked that Answering Machine hasn’t been mentioned more. I’m not even gonna try to whittle down a list. But does anybody anywhere like “Nightclub Jitters” at all? I just can’t bring myself to even try listening to it most days.

25. evin 08.Oct.08 at 6:01 pm

i was kiddin jay…

for reals now i’d prob say alex chilton, bastards, left of the dial are their big anthems but fuk how can you leave achin to be, i’ll be you, regular, waitress, unsatisfied, color me imp, can’t hardly w, iou, sixteen blue, i will dare, answering mach, out of the mix? it’s a hard question.

26. Jodi 08.Oct.08 at 6:06 pm

I think that’s what makes it so fun, how hard it is.

27. Brad 08.Oct.08 at 11:49 pm

Ok, here goes:

1) I will dare – simply rocks!!!
    2) Left of the Dial – Sweet Georgia Breezes
    3) Skyway – Defines the look of a great city

28. Kent 09.Oct.08 at 8:22 am

Iconic? To me, that’s not their best songs but the songs that capture their essence. Under this definition, I’d go with:

Hold My Life
    I Will Dare
    If Only You Were Lonely

29. jay 09.Oct.08 at 7:58 pm

Whoever said Swinging Party sucks get a free beer from me next time I see you at the bar.

30. Jake 09.Oct.08 at 9:30 pm

Your crazy….swinging party is great. Especially the lyrics..genius

31. Mike 10.Oct.08 at 1:14 pm

Regular
    Satelite
    left of the dial

32. Brad Willard 11.Oct.08 at 3:14 am

Clearly Westy’s best songs ever are as follows:

1) Answering Machine
    2) Here Comes a Regular
    3) Born for You

These points are indisputable, as are my qualifications to be President: http://www.willard2008.com

Cheers and rock on Westy!

33. Jay 11.Oct.08 at 3:55 pm

Born for you? Pfft.

34. Jay 11.Oct.08 at 3:56 pm

I will however vote for you, if only because you look a teenie bit like Mr. Waits, which is muy cool.

35. Jonathon 11.Oct.08 at 8:17 pm

I think Tom Waits would make a good president. It’s pretty hard to dislike the guy. And he’d probably just make confusing records for his State of the Union addresses and intimidate other countries with his ability to beat-box.

Biden would still be VP. He can outdrink the others that were being considered. Except for Teddy…

36. Jay 11.Oct.08 at 11:00 pm

Teddy was the shit.

37. Bastard Of Young 12.Oct.08 at 8:48 am

The three I listened to the most in the last 24 years are:

1)Answering Machine
    2)Color Me Impressed
    3)Left Of The Dial

Treatment Bound would probably be #4.

38. Jay 14.Oct.08 at 10:53 pm

Bastard of Young wins i think. Those are 3, solid, indisputable picks.