Oct 7 2008

How much awesomness can one video of a cover of “Can’t Hardly Wait” contain? Let me count the ways:
1. An accordian
2. Someone playing cowbell
3. Gold lame pants
4. It seems as though the stage is the short cut to the bathroom or something
5. A trumpet (like that original version)
6. Dude with cowbell at about 1:48 is really passionate about the cowbell playing
7. At about 2:22 a drunk girl appears to mimic jacking off aforementioned trumpet player
8. Loads of cell-phone-camera photographers

Tags: , ,

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 8:50 am · ·

wow…holy trainwreck of fun.

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 10:25 am · ·

When I say awesome, I mean awesome.

blasty

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 10:49 am · ·

With those golden trousers, I could rule the world!

Like King Midas did, back in the pilgrim days.

Navin

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 1:44 pm · ·

So funny. I just saw this video 2 minutes ago, BEFORE coming and seeing it here. Fun. Fun. Fun.

shelaka

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 2:18 pm · ·

Bizzarely great! Watching that, I wish I were there, drinking a beer on stage! Gold pants guy at the beginning: “THAT’S what I’m talkin’ about – we got some pep, we got some spirit!”

Plus – hat poppin’ guy at 3:28.

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 2:19 pm · ·

Hat poppin’ guy totally cracked me up too.

zook

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 5:08 pm · ·

The Mats would be proud!

jay

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 7:45 pm · ·

It’s a good. But my favorite mats clip BY FAR is still:

I can’t not watch it if I start it.

blasty

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 8:37 pm · ·

Ah, yeah, I remember that night well. Westernerd get-together at our girl Jodi’s ranch, back when she was blonde and Zook was a tall, thin black man in yellow pants. I’ll never forget videotaping the whole thing, and then blackmailing them the following morning.

Good times, good times….

GtrPlyr

Tue Oct 7, 2008 at 9:45 pm · ·

Sloppy, out-of-tune, missed changes… just like a good Replacements cover should be. That bar sorta reminds me of a bar I used to frequent in the 90s.

zook

Wed Oct 8, 2008 at 9:36 am · ·

Blasty, I still have those pants though I’ve grown my afro out since then. And was that a young Rachel Dagmar I saw introducing that video? The way she was longingly looking at Jodi there reminded me of the after party – remember how hot and heavy they were and how you wore that dress and told everyone you were just “pretending” to be Bob? Ahhhh, to be young again…good times.

blasty

Wed Oct 8, 2008 at 11:11 am · ·

The woman introducing the video told me her name was Irene, or Kelly, or Lisa…..I forget…anyway, she kept trying to get us to play that Zuzu’s Petals video that she was obsessed with. Kept saying how beautiful Laurie was. After the aftershow party, we kept teasingly calling Jodi “Paul”.
As far as wearing that dress, somebody *cough PZ cough* told me that we were dressing up as our favorite mats song for the party, and I fell for it. Thanks for pointing and laughing. I haven’t liked that song since. I’m just happy that I didn’t go with my first choice, and can still listen to Silver Naked Ladies.

Debaser

Thu Oct 9, 2008 at 9:53 pm · ·

So that is what The Refreshments have been up to lately.

Laugh riot – thanks

Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 1:27 pm · ·

Tell me everyone knows about the westerberg stinson studio pics

Elvis McCoy

Tue Nov 25, 2008 at 10:25 am · ·

I was the lead guitarist on the right dressed like fat Elvis in a Black Karate Ghi. It’s nice that folks that come to our shows tape things, because usually we’re over-served and can’t remember what went on. The only show we’ve done sober was a gig at a maximum security prison in southern PA. We’ve been covering that tune since 1992. You’d think we’d have the chord changes down by now……..
-elvis mccoy

Shelaka

Wed Nov 26, 2008 at 9:40 am · ·

Chord changes, shmord changes – you guys were great! A fitting tribute, I say…

Comments