Oct 31 2008

You know the songs I’m talking about. The songs with that sort of repetitive nature. I will show you my list and then you’ll know:

1. Eyes Like Sparks
2. Folk Star
3. Be Bad For Me

Also up for consideration but ultimately dismissed Jingle, 5:05, Seein’ Her, and Makin’ Me Go.

Tags: , , , , , ,

the bub

Fri Oct 31, 2008 at 8:44 pm · ·

Repetive is a good thing.

Placemat

Sat Nov 1, 2008 at 10:49 pm · ·

Speaking of Folk Star…

I’m not a big fan of Folker. That record has been shelved for a while now.

Yesterday, I found a scratched copy under my car seat, & thru it in just to see if it would play. Turns out, despite looking like a jig-saw puzzle it plays fine. It’s burned backwards so Folk Star kicks thing off, & damn if that tune doesn’t rock.

The lyrics are still a little suspect, but when Paul starts screaming “I’M A FOLK STAR, NOW” it’s all good.

Gun Shy is also the shit.

Sun Nov 2, 2008 at 9:36 am · ·

i love folk star. its been said it’s jack white slam.

Sun Nov 2, 2008 at 10:48 am · ·

I like folker but my favorite off that cd is lookin up in heaven and what about mine?

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 10:00 am · ·

Outta My System
Ain’t Done Much
High Time

I’m not a big fan of Folker either. I like a lot of the songs individually, but there’s something too flat and even about the whole album that makes it a little dry.

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 10:22 am · ·

I think it has a lot to do with it being the end of that inspiration burst westerberg had. So we got some bad songs with some great ones. I don’t think anyone can argue that stereo/mono is genius.

Andy Dick

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm · ·

I’m willing to argue anytime that Folker is better than Stereo but will hedge the bet if you throw Mono in the discussion.

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 6:18 pm · ·

I would like to hear your opening arguments in the case of Folker v Stereo.

the bub

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 6:23 pm · ·

Folker is like summertime and Stereo is like the fall.

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 6:24 pm · ·

But you operate under the assumption that everyone likes summer better than fall.

the bub

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 6:34 pm · ·

No. Folker feels like summer to me, which is good. Stereo feels like the fall. They are different, but I love them both equally. They both have and will have their time and place.

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 6:40 pm · ·

See, Folker feels like fall to me. I think because it came out in like September and I listened to it a lot in the fall.

the bub

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 6:46 pm · ·

Kind of like 49:00 is a great summer album.

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 7:25 pm · ·

I have to say that stereo is better than folker. It seems more inspired. Westerberg seems to be tired by the time we get to folker. Not that it is a terrible album. But stereo is my favorite. They are different though i agree…..There are days when folker hits the spot.

Placemat

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 9:25 pm · ·

I donno about Folker.

I wish time away would have brought understanding, but I still don’t hear it. The songs just aren’t there for me.

There’s a particular line, something like “I don’t wanna bug ya, I just wanna hug ya” … outch, I cringe every fuckin’ time.

Placemat

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 9:33 pm · ·

Jake makes a good point about it being the end of a burst. Beer goggles help. 😉

Seems like people more-or-less agree on what makes a great Mats record, but not so much when it comes to Paul’s records.

Be interesting to see how people rank the solo releases.

the bub

Mon Nov 3, 2008 at 10:00 pm · ·

Good point. Next cage match should be ranking Paul’s solo records.

Tue Nov 4, 2008 at 10:10 am · ·

The Stereo vs Folker debate got me curious so I pitted the songs against each other.

1 Baby Learns To Crawl vs Jingle
2 Dirt To Mud vs Now I Wonder
3 Only Lie Worth Telling vs Positively My Dad On 4th Street
4 Got You Down vs Looking Up In Heaven
5 No Place For You vs Anyway’s All Right
6 Boring Enormous vs $100 Groom
7 Nothing To No One vs 23 Years Ago
8 We May Be The One vs As Far As I Know
9 Don’t Want Never vs What About Mine?
10 Mr. Rabbit vs How Can You Like Him?
11 Let The Bad Times Roll vs New Life

8 DRAW
9 Stereo
10 Stereo
11 Stereo
12 Folker
13 Folker

I’ve got Stereo winning 9-3.

Headphones

Wed Nov 5, 2008 at 11:43 am · ·

I agree with Some Guy on all points except on Postcards vs Folk Star.

Postcards from Paradise is one of my all-time favorite PW tunes. It sounds more like it should be on Mono than on Stereo.

As for the original post, Eyes like Sparks has THE best riff on Mono.

Comments