Nov 25 2008

He talks a lot about the ‘Mats in this one. It’s weird because I’ve been listening to The Hold Steady for ages, but I saw them a few weeks ago for the first time and now I am in the process of getting a teenybopper crush on Craig Finn.

And here, here he talks about how I Will Dare is his favorite ‘Mats song. And can you hear my heart go pitter pat?

Tags: , ,

Tue Nov 25, 2008 at 3:53 pm · ·

Thats awesome to see that he loves the mats….kinda figured though

jay

Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 12:09 am · ·

I hate mats covers. AK Healys is the only one ive ever heard that i actually enjoy. They tend to just suck. Paul writes with a lot of personal emotion as we all know, and it always feels cheap to me when somebody covers it. That cover of answering machine is cool to me because it reminded me of a girls take on arelationship through the same song. I get that. It felt legit. Other than that, my 2 cds woth of mats animal rescue cds and well inherit the earth tribute and random covers all seem to just suck.
Thats said I’d love to hear Chan Marshall try her take on Answering Machine.

evin

Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 4:52 pm · ·

i agree jay. i think the biggest problem with them is that westerberg uses tunings other than standard. most can’t really figure out how to play the song correctly and they attempt a note for note reproduction of it that ends up far from correct. i think the woman that did the answering machine cover made a solid go at making it her own.

jay

Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 7:03 pm · ·

You should hear my version of answering machine…
Its so bad my dog- who is almost completely deaf- howls.
I found a vhs of my my highschool band playing Can’t Hardly Wait at our Battle of the Bands. I think thats about the time I realized Mats covers were futile. I’d post it on yputube but then I’d be afraid it would end up here.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 7:04 pm · ·

Dude, you owe it to the world to put that on YouTube.

jay

Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 7:38 pm · ·

Wow. Yeah. You see, here’s the deal Jodi:
We went to this horrific all boys school in St. Louis that was basically Dead Poets Society. We had to wear coats and ties and shorts. It was all very traumatizing, and finally in my mid-30’s, I’m almost fully recovered. And for me to send that nightmarish image across the inter-web®, well, that could send me into an irrecoverable spiral of something bad.
But it was the fucking Replacements. So we had one thing going for us.
So bad.
So very, very, very bad.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 7:44 pm · ·

You know, the Internet could totally reverse all that damage by embracing your earnest ‘Mats cover and making you a YouTube icon.

Come on! It’s the spirit of giving and all that.

jay

Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 11:59 pm · ·

pfft

Mon Dec 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm · ·

i have voted from both my computers.

Mon Dec 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm · ·

i have voted from both my computers.

Comments