Apr 13 2009

Sometimes I wonder if part of the reason I have such a soft spot for Craig Finn of The Hold Steady is his love of The Replacements. Don’t get me wrong, I really do enjoy the music of The Hold Steady, but the esteem my tender heart holds for Mr. Finn is quickly approaching the same level as Mike Doughty’s.

If you know me, you’ll realize how momentous that is.

So I was watching A Positive Rage again tonight, and this time I kept track of the bands Finn mentions. Of course, I am here to share that with you.

Led Zepplin = 1
The Stones = 1
The Beatles = 1
Pavement = 1
Mission of Burma = 1
Sean Lennon = 1
Husker Du = 2
The Replacements = 6

Yeah. The DVD is pretty sweet.

Tags:

Jonathon Hackett

Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 9:25 pm · ·

I’m surprised there isn’t more mention of the Du. I hear more Husker than ‘Mats in the Hold Steady.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm · ·

I agree I like the hold steady more because finn likes the replacements but I’m not sure on the husker du point….

Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 9:07 am · ·

Warehouse era Husker Du, I can see that. The first time I heard them was when I saw them open for The Shins and I described them to someone the next day as “AC/DC with Dennis Leary ranting on vocals.”

Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 8:00 pm · ·

Man oh man kids- The Hold Steady live is sooooooo much like the Huskers. When I heard them play Adderal it reminded me sooooooooooooooooooooooo much of “I dont know What Your Talking About” vocally for some reason and “drive wise”- whatever that means. I oddly hear a combo of warehouse mixed with the repetitious anthemic quality of New Day Rising.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 8:02 pm · ·

And I agree- A Positive Rage is freaking great.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm · ·

So, I’m an Art Brut fan(they tour with Hold Steady so it fits here). I got an advanced copy of their new cd- and much to my surprise there is a song called “The Replacements.”
It’s funny…”I can’t believe, I just found out, about The Replacements. Some of them, are just as old, as my parents…”
Brilliant. Good song.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 11:31 am · ·

I just heard that song last week on an internet radio station. They followed it up by playing Left Of The Dial.

We’re The Replacements is still my favorite though.

Dfactor

Fri May 1, 2009 at 6:19 pm · ·

You can hear that Art Brut “The Replacements” song here.

Not the best of Art Brut rock, but Eddie’s got a way with pop culture lyrics and growing up.

Amy Hopkins

Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 3:05 pm · ·

I saw the Hold Steady twice. Once at the tabernacle in Atlanta and once in Ithica NY. The show in Ithica was such a great show. I got to meet Craig Finn after the show. It was a very memorable moment. He has a way of connecting with the audience. If you ever get the chance to see them live I totally recommend it.

Comments