May 2 2011

I’d like to point you in the direction of a great AV Club interview with Gorman Bechard about Color Me Obsessed. It includes this little gem:

GB: No. Sometimes it’s better not to meet your heroes. Also, I’m not a big fan of behind-the-scenes stories. I don’t care about the gossip end. I really feel for actors or musicians or writers whose work is on the screen, on the record, on the pages, and that’s what they’re willing to share with me. Part of me thinks that’s enough. I can be a huge fan and be more than happy with just that. Paul Westerberg has given me more than most people I know in those records, and also his solo records—Stereo/Mono, I literally named it the best album of the decade. Also, not that I have this ideal by any stretch of Westerberg being a saint or anything, but I don’t want to tarnish it in any bad ways.

Can I just say I second that emotion? I never, ever want to meet Paul Westerberg. Ever.

Tags: ,

blasty

Mon May 2, 2011 at 11:32 am · ·

I agree with you, Jodi. He’s a talented songwriter than can put into words in 3 minutes time what so many of us feel but can’t express. A true poet. That’s all I want from him: his art. And I’m pretty sure he’s fine with that.

blasty

Mon May 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm · ·

For this same reason, I never want to meet Laurie Lindeen.

Mon May 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm · ·

I would actually like to meet Laurie, but more as writer to writer than rockstar to fan.

Scott

Mon May 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm · ·

Wait… I thought you WERE Paul????

😉

Mon May 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm · ·

Of course I am. It’s why we named the second-best ‘Mats album Pleased to Meet Me.

Mon May 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm · ·

I can’t say I’d never like to meet him. But honestly I would have nothing to say that he hasn’t heard before.

jaytaco

Wed May 11, 2011 at 7:53 pm · ·

Ive had beers with Paul a few different times and had the honor throwing bottles at his tour bus from a balcony at the hotel across the street from Mississippi Nights with Tommy. They were the best beers Ive ever had. You guys are crazy. Tarnished….no way…those are some of the greatest memories of my life. Made me like those knuckleheads even more. The Suiccane documentary is pretty spot on for me…the best Paul video that never got wide release…

Erik

Fri May 13, 2011 at 10:19 am · ·

i love that story, what a great memory…. i do consider myself fortunate enough to have met Paul and Tommy on a couple of occasions; they were always friendly enough and willing to give up their time but it was always me that was probably star struck, nervous, and awkward….i guess i’ll play some Replacements tonight have a couple drinks and throw the empties at the house.

ThomasWilliam

Fri May 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm · ·

Agree…I met Hunter S. Thompson in ’96 and am STILL getting over that ordeal:)

Comments