Skip to main content
PW News

Grandpaboy’s Last Stand

By 01.Nov.1064 Comments

I got my Mr.F single in the mail today, along with the download card for Grandpaboy’s Last Stand. Sadly, the songs on the 45 are not available for download, at least not that I can see. So, I’m going to have to wait until someone digitizes the songs to actually listen to them since I don’t have a record player.

Grandpaboy’s Last Stand is one, giant mp3. I loaded it into iTunes and it comes in at 35:39. I’m about four minutes in and thus far it’s a bunch of nonsensey noodling to me akin to 49. Oh, at about 5 minutes we get a song like thing. It should be, well, interesting to say the least.

Anyone else get the single yet?

UPDATE: there’s a few songs. At about 10:58 he starts singing about anyone looking for god save for Elrod Puce. . . we need someone to divide this file up ala 49:00.

I am the queen of the underground, a bad ungrateful bunny.

• blasty says:

I’m getting word that this thing has sold out. If you didn’t get in right away, well….Ebay may be your friend.

• Jake says:

I just listened to side one and This Machine” is a good little acoustic song.

• jaytaco says:

Did you guys get shipping notification? Or did it just show up? I’m outta town and just curious…

• Jodi says:

I didn’t get shipping notification. Or if I did it got stuck in the spam trap.

• jaytaco says:

sweet…thanks!

• ih8music says:

I ordered mine this morning and received my shipment confirmation about an hour ago.

• Neil says:

Listening to GLS now. It’s funny. It’s making me drink faster….a good thing. Some really cool stuff!!! I think it will even get better with repeated listens. Haven’t listened to the 45 yet because I can’t find my stupid little 45 ring adapter thing!

• Jonathon Hackett says:

Got notice from the post office, I’ll pick it up tomorrow. I can work on digitizing it unless somebody has already. Where’s the best place to deposit that madness? And does anyone know where I might acquire “5:05”? I missed that one.

• Neil says:

Just noticed that when I imported GLS into iTunes, the track # reads 1 of 2. Not sure if that means the 2nd is the vinyl, or if another Grandpaboy is coming soon….the “coming soon…son of a depression” writing on the 45 maybe?

• Erik says:

SOLD OUT!!!!???? I’m curious how many were pressed..anyone know? I haven’t looked on ebay yet, anyone willing to burn one? Is it good?

• Mark says:

I think that’s a portrait of Frank Sinatra on the album cover.

• osumarko says:

I believe 450 were pressed.

• Chris Bro says:

It was sold out before I got it. Unhappy face. Anyone know where I can get it online?

• jaytaco says:

woohoo…mines on its way!

• jaytaco says:

whats the vibe of it? Good? Mediocre? Talk to me Goose.

• Squaw says:

Another batch on its way in about 2 weeks! There is still hope!

• Erik says:

Has anybody even listened to it yet? I’m not hearing a lot of feedback on what it even sounds like….Is Paul bringing out the top shelf stuff or are we still in the basement and getting rid of demo’s for the garage sale?

• blasty says:

Just Paul and an acoustic guitar, singing songs in the style of Woody Guthrie.

• blasty says:

There’s also a nice little message (in sign language) on the download card….

• jaytaco says:

spill it…whats it say?

• Jake says:

I liked the song a lot. It didn’t sound like him at first. I think they are higher quality than what we have been use to. My favorite release to this point besides 49:00 is “Finally here once” but this is up there with that. It’s Paul and an acoustic guitar without those boom clack drums all the time. I just hope he makes something real soon that blows everyone’s minds. It’s been awhile since I have listened to something from him that I thought was pure genius and not just really good. Although I am biased because I consider any sign that he is alive amazing. He could cover a shitty song badly and I would more than likely like it.

• Erik says:

i agree with you Jake-a throw away Paul song for me is typically more enjoyable than what is forced in my ears these days and more so than not way more heartfelt…. but I’m ready for a recording with a real producer and maybe a couple of hired hands to bring to life what we all know he is capable of…. but on the flip side, anything new from PW is always a welcome gift to hear what he is writing or willing to give out

• Squaw says:

I received the vinyl but did not receive the download card for the bonus MP3. Anyone else have that problem? Emailed Nimbit, haven’t heard back from them yet.

• Erik says:

The formerly owned Paul Westerberg 1956 Gibson Les Paul Jr. went for $3,150.00 on ebay

• Jake says:

Wish it could of been mine.

• Earl says:

I like this download a lot… Liked 49:00 a lot too… Pretty funny, too….I.e. Mr cigarette and your fans wanna dance… Cracked me up

• Matt says:

Speaking of new songs, Tommy Stinson has a new one on his site for download. Where is that new album he recorded?

• Matt says:

Rich Russo of NYC 109.1 just played “This Machine” on the radio. Crazy. I thought he was going to play Last Stand.

• Jake says:

Tommy Stinson’s new one is good. It’s acoustic and I don’t think anyone can deny his biggest influence is Paul.

• j eastman says:

…anyone get the notification and subsequent download for the “epilogue”?

• Jodi says:

I got it. I’m waiting for the inevitable take down for ripping of La Bamba.

• Jake says:

Last Thing I was expecting to hear……..Richie would be proud.

• Jim says:

I’m having trouble finding the epilogue. Someone help me out?

• Jodi says:

I got an email from Nimbit about the free download. maybe check your spam filter?

• Jim says:

I got the email, but I can’t find the link. All I have is a huge jpg.

• Jim says:

Stupid me. Got it.

• Jodi says:

Yeah, it was a little hard to find, depending on your email client. That giant JPG messed stuff up.

• Erik says:

I can’t hardly wait…. I still want a copy!….any volunteers…trades?

• Free Rider says:

At first the entire GLS was jarring due to the slap back echo effect he was using and I thought the guy had been in the basement too long. But the more I listen to it, the funnier the concept of a Grandpaboy “recording session” becomes.

Love You In Reverse, both versions, ares hilarious only because of the constant refrain of “I hated you from the first…” :

• velvetnose says:

Wow! Impressed the real gem is not the “45 but the free download. “Mr. Cigarette and “Love You in Reverse” are both stellar tracks…the latter being near the 28 minute but well worth the wait. I split the song out using itunes and am listening to them constantly.

• Erik says:

I’ll trade a 5:05 for a Grandpaboy’s last stand…any takers?

• Beth says:

Lyrics? Someone? Anyone? Please post for those of us not lucky enough to hear the songs. Thanks!

• Mike Copen says:

Anybody notice that they got Last Stand(epilogue) part 2 via email yet? I like suprises.

• blasty says:

During the dialogue before “Love You In Reverse” someone says “evil”. But it’s kinda pronounced as “evol”. So, is “evol” love in reverse?

• earl says:

1) blasty—-someone says “evol”, then evolution grandpa……2).velvetnose, how do you split the songs using itunes? and 3)i didn’t receive my epilogue link, what do Ido?

• Neil says:

Earl, check your spam email folder. The email might have gone there, that’s what happened to me and to some others, I’ve heard.

• earl says:

Thanks Neil…i don’t have a spam folder, so there is nowhere to check…didn’t know if there was a code in the 45 or something to access epilogue…thanks again

• Erik says:

i still want to get my copy, waiting for them to re-issue the second batch….i’ve already put it out there but anyone willing to burn one or trade?

• Ed says:

hey earl, just send an email to nimbit service and say you didn’t get the code for the epilogue and they’ll send you a new link for it. it worked for me